Placid Audio Carbonphone
The Carbonphone, unlike full range dynamic, condenser or ribbon mics, features a military grade carbon granule element to capture sound. Due to the unique and unpredictable response of the carbon capsule, the resulting sound is naturally distorted, band passed and very ‘lofi’. Some might compare the character of the Carbonphone to that of a scratchy vinyl record or a military radio / public address transmission. The sound is achieved by passing current through tiny carbon granules within the capsule. When sound waves agitate the granules, the electrical resistance of the capsule modulates and the variations in resistance can then be converted into sound just like any other microphone.
- Military grade carbon granule capsule
- Fully balanced output
- Quality Hammond output transformer
- Rugged copper housing and components
- Powered 5 position variable filter Tone Box
- Tone Box doubles as a phantom power source
- Tone Box can be used with other microphones
- 9 volt power supply for Tone Box
- High quality Neutrik 3 pin XLR connectors
- Handcrafted in the U.S.A
- Lifetime operational warranty
- Adjustable aircraft aluminum mounting bracket to fit North American style stands (will fit European style stands with common threaded adapter)
- Type: Carbon
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency Response: 100Hz - 10kHz
- Impedance: 600 ohms
- Output: 120 +/ 2dB SPL @ 1 kHz
- Mic Dimensions: 1.75 x 5.5 inches
- Tone Box Dimensions: 5.25 x 4.25 x 2.25 inches
- Mic Weight: 1 lbs.
- Tone Box Weight 0.70 lbs.