Generate is based on a set of chaotic generators. What looks like randomness contains underlying patterns, interconnectedness, constant feedback loops, repetition, self-similarity, fractals, and self-organization. Each of Generate’s 5 chaotic generators bring out these underlying patterns and create an oscillator that can smoothly fade from a sine wave to total chaos, with an expanse of territory to explore in between. The musical textures created include distortion, harmonics, grunge, static, and noise. All of which can be predictably or unpredictably modulated.
Generate's chaotic generators are routed through your choice of a Buchla wavefolder, or novel Animated or Fractal wavefolders, each adding unique overtones. Followed by a low pass gate inspired by the ideas of Don Buchla. These modules combine to create a versatile and musical voice with it’s own unique flavor.
Every parameter in Generate’s voice can be modulated by a combination of two Envelope Generators, two LFOs, a Sample and Hold/Random generator, an 8 Step Sequencer, and MIDI and MPE sources. The innovative modulation interface allows you to easily and quickly patch any combination of sources to any destination, creating sounds that move, and which move you.
Generate's voice is followed by an unparalleled EQ, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, and Limiter, all to launch your chaotic sounds into outer space or right into your listeners faces.
- Novel chaotic oscillator has 5 types: Double Pendulum, Vortex, Puslar, Discharge, and Turbine;
- Wavefolders based on the Buchla 259 Complex Waveform Generator, Fractals, and a special Animated Equation;
- Low Pass Gate based on the Buchla 292 adds controls for POLES and RESONANCE;
- Modulate all controls with MIDI/MPE, two Envelopes, two LFOs, Sample and Hold/Random, and a Step Sequencer;
- Innovative modulation UI allows modulation over every control from the main page, allowing up to 493 simultaneous modulation routings;
- Innovative EQ, Chorus, Delay, Reverb, and Limiter effects to turn the sounds into magic;
- MPE support allows amazing control from expressive controllers;
- All mod sources have multiple outputs generated at once, like a modular synth should;
- Animations! The Double Pendulum, Wavefolder, and Low Pass Gate modules each have animations to show how each module responds to your input, and to modulation;
- Color Schemes! Don’t like the look of it, change it;
- Over 650 Presets, including many artist presets.
There are several new pieces of technology that give Generate its unique sound:
1. Generate’s Chaotic Generator is unique among synthesizer oscillators and has been in development for 4 years. The initial idea was to find out what a double pendulum would sound like if sped up to audio rate. It sounded great, but not very musical. After a lot of tweaking to the dynamical model (underlying math) we found a set of Generators that I was happy with and am proud to release in this plug-in. A great simulation of the double pendulum, and a derivation of the equations of motion can be found here.
2. Even after settling on the oscillator building the rest of the voice took several iterations. The best fit ended up being the “west coast” voice originally developed by the genius Don Buchla. However, when building those modules I started having ideas for other wavefolder equations. These ideas eventually became the Animated and Fractal wavefolder options. Development of these ideas was aided in large part by the online graphing calculator Desmos.
3. The reverb in Generate is an incredibly efficient new design (as far as I know) inspired by the writings of Michael Gerzon.
4. The limiter is also a new design based on the geometry of signals, rather than on an analog or digital prototype. For more reading on signal geometry check out this chapter by Julius O Smith.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.