Coil Audio CA-286S
Simply put - the Coil Audio CA-286S is the easiest way to get hi-fidelity EF86 tube tones into your studio. A tribute to the classic 1950’s and 60’s European two-stage amplifier made popular by Telefunken™, Langevin™, Collins™, and Gates™
The CA-286S single channel preamplifier is a standalone single channel 2U version of the larger CA-286 PS6 preamp module but with onboard power and a more streamlined control layout. It boasts the exact same European style circuit, tubes, transformers, and high-end components as its PS6 sibling but with a more elegant and user-friendly design.
About the CA-286S controls and features, the input pad section contains a phase reverse switch, and a 6 position pad network. The first four positions are various 150/250 ohm mic pads; -6db, -12db, and -19db. The last two, L1 and L2, allow line-level signals providing tone-shaping capabilities while mixing from your DAW, tape machine, other line level devices – including other preamps. The NF control varies the amount of negative feedback present in the circuit. Counter-clockwise brightens and moves the sound forward while raising harmonics and sensitivity. Turning it clockwise increases negative feedback, producing a darker tone with a smooth, dampened harmonic structure. The LOW switch reacts with the NF, boosting or cutting low frequency while moving the low end from front to back in the sound stage. The output control knob is placed between the 1st and 2nd stage EF86 tubes and sets the final output level.
- 2U steel enclosure with integrated power supply
- CT-110HN Input and CT-41 Output transformers installed
- Negative feedback tone adjustment with LOW filter
- Two-stage dual EF86/6267 vacuum tube circuit
- 42db-60db of available gain
- Flexible input pad section for Mic or Line level operation
- 150 Ohm Mic input, 20k Line input, 600 Ohm output
- NOS tubes, signal caps & resistors, PEC 2W carbon pots
- Slow Ramping/Linear regulated Power Supply to prolong tube life
- Hand Built and Tested in the USA